Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Summary and suggestions

1. Purpose of Practicum

By joining the SEA Teacher program, there are some goals that i want to achieve during the process, such as:

1. I want to develop my teaching skills.
2. I want to see other countries, learning about their cultures, and most importantly their education system.
3. I want to be better prepared as a teacher before i actually become a professional teacher.
4. I also want to be a better person in terms of managing many things at once and become more responsible.

1.2 Procedures of Practicum

 There are 4 stages of activity during my practicum scheduled by host university, Far eastern university at P. Gomez elementary school. The first stage, or the first week is consist of orientation and observation in teaching.
 The second stage, the second week, i became a teacher assistant for the cooperating teacher in the class that i was assigned such as checking students work.
 The third stage, the third week, i finally do teaching practice in class. The fourth stage, last week, final demo for my teaching practice, observed by my mentor co-teacher Mrs. Divina Ababon and my supervisor from Far Eastern University, Dr. Stephen jay co.


1.3 Outcomes of Practicum

Things that i learned after my practicum are the followings :
1.) I learned how to manage time during my classroom teaching practice.
2.) I know how to choose the right and effective method to implement an effective learning process.
3.) I learned how to organized the students especially during grouping activities.
4.) I also know how to give some strict rules that students need to follow in class.

1.4 The challenges of Practicum

1.) The most challenging during my practicum, is of course the different in language, because during my time in my home country, Indonesia, english is not a daily language.
2.) The difference in curriculum between Indonesia K13 and Phillipines K12, i find it's hard for me to manage my time when i'm teaching one subject.
3.) There are more students in one class compared to elementary school in Indonesia, so i have to give extra efforts to manage them.

1.5 Overall impression

Overall, i feel that i have achieved all the goals that i have mentioned above during my practicum. I really learned a lot as a student teacher, but most importantly as a human being. I realized that even though i came from different country, speaks different language, people here are very very helpful and doing their best to accomodate what i need. The students are very bright and talkative, which is good for me to integrates myself. The teachers guidance are also very useful for me, then, now and for my future as a teacher. Big thank you to Mrs. Divina Ababon

1.6 Suggestions for future improvement

The only suggestion i can give is probably that i, as a SEA Teacher delegate, should have been given an Id card by the host university, Far Eastern University, it is much more effective than a letter. In that way it will make it easier for me to contact my supervisor.
As for P. Gomez, i just hope that they will use their library more than they already have, attracts the students to go to library.
But overall, it may not have been a perfect journey, but it is certainly one to be remember

No comments:

Post a Comment